January is almost gone 😀 warm weather is just around the corner 🌞
March & April is a great time to install central AC or upgrade your old inefficient system (especially if it’s an attic job 😓)
I’m not bashing other contractors but here are a few things that should be considered when choosing an HVAC contractor-
- Do they hold a CT HVAC contractors license S-1 or D-1
- City permit should be pulled by contractor
- Do they carry liability insurance and workman’s Comp insurance
(Ask for cert of insurance)
- HVAC systems should be sized by a heat loss/gain calculation NOT by square footage of the home
- Check contractors Better Business bureau rating
- How long have they been in the field and in business (ask for references)
- Do they do yearly service on the equipment they are installing
- What material are they fabricating their ductwork out of (my personal opinion is that duct board is inferior ductwork compared to R8 wrapped steel duct) Flex runs should not exceed 11 feet (we try not to exceed 5 feet) You will see some contractor’s use a complete 25 ‘ box on a run which is inefficient, reduces velocity and performance.
It’s much easier late winter / Spring to choose a contractor and make an equipment choice then in July/August when you’re under the gun. Choose wisely, research, educate yourself and ask questions.